Asparagus, peas, carrot, sundried tomato, tarragon & cubed baguette in a parmesan mozzarella custard; baked until golden
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 8 hours and 15 minutes|Cook time: 65 to 75 minutes|Yield: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch asparagus (about 1/2 pound) trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese lightly packed (3/4 ounce)
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1 large carrot, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes, soaked in hot water to rehydrate if very dry
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups cubed whole-wheat baguette or other crusty bread (1-inch cubes)
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute more. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring occaasionally, until just beginning to soften, 1 minute. Stir in the peas, remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and mustard together until incorporated. Add the vegetable mixture, both cheeses, the carrot, sun-dried tomatoes, tarragon, pepper and salt, and stir to incorporate. Add the bread and toss to combine.
- Spray a 9x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and transfer the mixture to the dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Remove the strata from the refrigerator, uncover and allow to sit at room temperature while you preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake until set and the top forms a golden brown crust, 65-75 minutes.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 290, Carbs: 34g, Protein: 17g Fat: 10g, Sat. fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 195mg, Sodium: 530mg, Fiber: 5g