A quick stovetop recipe for making your own healthy applesauce.
Follow Our Recipe
- 8 cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped (see note)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the apples, brown sugar, water and cinnamon.
- Toss to coat well and cover. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the apples become soft. Remove from heat. With a potato masher, smash the apples to a desired consistency. Cool for at least one hour before serving.
- Store applesauce in an airtight container.
- Note: The best apple varieties for applesauce are Braeburn, Cortland, Crispin, Fuji, Golden Delicious, and McIntosh.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 150, Carbs: 36g, Protein: 0 Fat: 0 , Sat. fat: 0 , Cholesterol: 0 , Sodium: 1mg, Fiber: 0