Mini beef and mushroom burgers topped with roma tomato and roasted grape and jalapeno jam on pretzel rolls. Served with watercress fennel salad.
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 25 minutes|Cook time: 20 minutes|Yield: 4 Portions
- 8 slices plum tomato, sliced ¼ inch
- 8 small pretzel rolls (about 1 ½ ounces per roll)
Roasted Grape and Jalapeno Jam
Prepare a day or two ahead
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved, seeds removed
- 1/3 cup red seedless grapes (about 10-12 grapes)
- 1 wholehole garlic, peeled
- 2½ teaspoons shallots, sliced
- Pinch Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon canola olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey
Orange Chipotle Vinaigrette
Can be prepared a day or two ahead
- 1½ teaspoons orange marmalade
- ½ teaspoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced fine
- ¼ teaspoon clove fresh garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon shallots, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Beef and Portobello Burger
Can be prepared a day ahead
- 7 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 portobello mushrooms, chopped fine (about 1½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon whole garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Watercress and Fennel Salad
- 3 cups watercress (packed)
- 6 tablespoons fresh fennel, shaved
- 4 tablespoons red onions, sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons Granny Smith apples, julienne
- 4 tablespoons red delicious apples, julienne
- 3 tablespoons orange chipotle vinaigrette (recipe above)
- Roasted Grape and Tomato Jam: In a small bowl combine jalapeno pepper halves, grapes, shallots, garlic clove, salt and oil. Toss to coat well. Place mixture, in single layer, onto a cookie sheet. Roast at 400°F for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven.
- 2. In a sauce pot combine roasted vegetable mixture, orange juice, vinegar and honey. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place mixture into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Refrigerate jam overnight to allow flavors to blend and mixture to thicken.
- Orange Chipotle Vinaigrette: In a bowl or blender combine all the ingredients EXCEPT for the olive oil. Blend well. Slowly whisk or stream in oil and mix well.
- Watercress and Fennel Salad: In a large bowl combine watercress, fennel, red onions and both apples. At service time add chipotle orange vinaigrette and toss well to coat. Serve 1 cup per person.
- Slider Assembly and Service: In a preheat non-stick skillet or well-oiled grill place slider patties. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
- Lightly toast pretzel rolls.
- For each slider, spread 1 teaspoon roasted grape and jalapeno jam on heel of roll. Top with 1 cooked slider patty and 1 slice plum tomato.
- Spread another 1 teaspoon jam on crown of roll and place on sandwich to close.
- Serve 2 sliders and 1 cup watercress and fennel salad per person.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 102, Carbs: 1g, Protein: 16g Fat: 3g, Sat. fat: 50g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 219mg, Fiber: 0g