Spicy black bean burger with avocado & cilantro coleslaw, tomato, lettuce and BBQ ranch dressing on a whole wheat bun
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 6 to 8 minutes|Cook time: 4 to 8 minutes|Yield: 4 servings; 1 burger each
BBQ Ranch Spread:
- 1 ½ Tablespoons low fat ranch dressing
- 3/4 teaspoon original BBQ sauce
Avocado Cilantro Slaw:
- 1/4 medium avocado, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded or thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1/3 cup peeled and thinly sliced or shredded carrots
Monterey Black Bean Burger:
- 4 (3 ounce) store-bought spicy black bean burgers
- 4 (2 ounce) whole grain hamburger buns
- 4 leaves of green lettuce
- 8 slices of tomato
To Prepare BBQ Ranch Spread:
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients until well-blended. Cover, and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Avocado Cilantro Slaw:
- In a food processor or blender, add avocado, yogurt, cilantro, lemon peel, lemon juice and pepper. Process until smooth
- Place cabbage and carrots in a large mixing bowl. Add dressing. Toss to coat evenly. Cover, and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Monterey Black Bean Burger:
- Preheat a grill to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or a sauté pan over medium high heat. Lightly coat with cooking oil spray.
- As needed, place black bean burgers on grill or pan. Cook for 2 minutes. Turn. Cook for another 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1 teaspoon BBQ Ranch sauce onto the heel of each bun.
- Place 1 black bean burger on heel of bun.
- In order, top burger with:
-1 lettuce leaf
-2 slices tomato
-1/4 cup slaw.
- Place crown of bun on sandwich to close. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 320, Carbs: 47g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 9g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: <5mg, Sodium: 560mg, Fiber: 10g