Jerk spiced vegetables over stewed black-eyed peas with coconut quinoa, baby arugula, smoked bacon, and fresh lime
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 15 to 20 minutes|Cook time: 31 to 38 minutes|Yield: 4 bowls; 1 bowl each
- 2 slices raw bacon, diced
- 2 Tablespoons diced celery
- 2 Tablespoons diced onion
- 2 Tablespoons diced green peppers
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 cups canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
Jerk Spiced Vegetables
- 3/4 cup eggplant, 1/2-inch half-moon-shaped slices
- 3/4 cup zucchini, 1/2-inch half moon shaped slices
- 3/4 cup portobello Mushrooms, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup red peppers, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable, store-bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup tri-color quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
Jamaican Jerk Roasted Vegetable Bowl
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lime cut into four wedges
To Prepare Hoppin' John
- In a pan, render bacon until crisp.
- Add celery, onion, peppers, and garlic. Sweat over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until translucent.
- Add black-eyed peas, jerk seasoning, and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until reduced by a third to allow the flavors to develop. Remove from heat and serve warm.
To Prepare Jerk Spiced Vegetables
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl. Toss until evenly coated.
- Place vegetables in a single layer on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Roast in a preheated 450 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are slightly tender and edges begin to brown. Remove from heat and serve warm.
To Prepare Coconut Quinoa
- Bring stock to a simmer. Add quinoa and curry powder. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Add coconut and salt. Stir to combine. Serve warm.
To Prepare Jamaican Jerk Roasted Vegetable Bowl
- Toss the arugula with oil until evenly coated. Set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup of Hoppin' John in the center of a serving bowl.
- Evenly top with:
- 1/2 cup coconut quinoa
- 1/2 cup jerk spiced vegetables
- 1/2 cup arugula with olive oil
- Enjoy immediately with a lime wedge!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 240, Carbs: 31g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 11g, Sat. Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 620mg, Fiber: 5g