A nutrient-packed bowl of quinoa, roasted sweet potato, spiced chickpeas, braised kale, and lemon dressing
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes|Cook time: 20 to 30 minutes|Yield: 4 bowls; 1 bowl each
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can (15 ounces) low sodium garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
- 1 ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 pound and 4 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive or canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- One pinch of ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup tri-color Quinoa or quinoa of choice
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 bunch of kale, trimmed and washed, and chopped
- Water for blanching
- 1 Tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Sweet Potato & Chickpea Buddha Bowl
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
To Prepare Lemon Tahini Dressing:
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients until well-blended. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Spiced Roasted Chickpeas:
- Place all ingredients in a bowl. Toss to coat evenly.
- Place spiced chickpeas in a single layer on a sheet tray. Roast in a preheated 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until outside is crisp and golden, but chickpeas are tender inside. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
To Prepare Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
- In a large bowl, combine diced sweet potatoes, oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Place on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Spread evenly in a single layer. Do not overlap.
- Place in preheated 450 degrees Fahrenheit oven. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat.
NOTE: Turn the pan halfway through the cooking time to promote even browning.
To Prepare Tri-color Quinoa:
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly under cold running water. Combine quinoa with water in a pot. Bring to a boil, then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until grains are fluffy and water absorbs. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use. Allow cooling before using. Or, cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Sauteed Kale:
- Trim stems from the greens. Wash well in cold running water. Add water to a pan and bring to a boil. Add kale and blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain well. Place the greens in an ice bath to shock and stop the cooking process. Spin dry or pat dry with paper towels or a clean dishtowel.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add kale and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until just wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
To Plate Sweet Potato & Chickpea Buddha Bowl:
- When ready to serve, place 1/2 cup of sauteed kale at 3 o’clock position in a serving bowl.
- Working in a clockwork pattern, place the following:
- 1/2 cup roasted sweet potatoes at 6 o’clock position
- 1/2 cup tri-color quinoa at 9 o’clock
- 1/2 cup spiced roasted garbanzo beans at 12 o’clock
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro, sprinkled over the entire bowl.
- Enjoy immediately with 2 Tablespoons of the lemon tahini dressing on the side.
NOTE: Prepare the bowls up to 24 hours ahead of time for added convenience or a quick meal on the go.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 450, Carbs: 65g, Protein: 16g, Fat: 15g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 590mg, Fiber: 12g