Puffed pastry stuffed with a maple cinnamon sweet potato mixture and finished with a drizzle of icing and almonds
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 6 to 8 minutes|Cook time: 27 to 34 minutes|Yield: 4 servings; 1 turnover each
Mashed Sweet Potato:
- 10 ounces sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks Water for boiling
Sweet Potato Icing:
- 1 ½ Tablespoons prepared and cooled mashed sweet potato
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
Sweet Potato Pie Filling:
- 3/4 cup prepared and cooled mashed sweet potato
- 2 ½ Tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Sweet Potato Turnover:
- ¼ cup sliced blanched almonds
- 4 (5-inch x 5-inch) puff pastry sheets or larger sheets cut into 5-inch x 5-inch squares
- 1/4 cup egg substitute or egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered sugar
To Prepare Sweet Potatoes:
- Bring water to a boil in a pot. Place sweet potatoes. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- Place potatoes in a mixing bowl. With an electric mixer on low, blend potatoes until smooth. Allow to cool to prepare filling and icing recipes.
To Prepare Sweet Potato Icing:
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk until combined. Cover, and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Sweet Potato Pie Filling:
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk until combined. Cover, and place in refrigerator until ready to use. Divide into four equal portions.
Sweet Potato Turnover:
- Spread a single layer of almonds on dry sheet tray. Bake in a preheated 400-degree Fahrenheit oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Rotate and stir almonds halfway through cooking. Remove from oven. Allow to cool.
- Keep oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Top each raw puff pastry with one portion of sweet potato filling.
- Brush edges of puff pastry with beaten egg. Fold over pastry sheet, creating a triangle. Seal the edges of the pastry using beaten egg.
- Once puff pastry is sealed, brush outer crust with beaten egg. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
NOTE: Discard leftovers egg at end of meal preparation.
- Allow turnover to cool slightly. Evenly drizzle each turnover with 1 Tablespoon sweet potato icing. Then, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon toasted almond slices and 1/16 teaspoon icing sugar. Enjoy immediately! Or, store at room temperature for 1 day.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 350, Carbs: 38g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 20g, Sat. Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 220mg, Fiber: 2g