Pink velvet cake made with yogurt and beet puree topped with strawberries, cookie crumbles and yogurt icing
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 10 to 12 minutes|Cook time: 25 to 30 minutes|Yield: 4 servings
Pink Velvet Cake:
- 3/8 cup (1/2 cup minus 2 Tablespoons) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 ½ Tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons beet juice, reserved from canned beets below
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon drained and sliced canned beets, pureed using the back of a spoon or a mortar and pestle
Vanilla Yogurt Icing:
- 1 1/8 teaspoons low fat vanilla yogurt or nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons and 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon reserved beet juice, see Pink Velvet Cake recipe
- 1/8 teaspoon water
Pink Velvet Cake Parfait:
- ½ cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled store-bought double chocolate chip cookie
To Prepare Pink Velvet Cake:
- NOTE: When draining canned beets, reserve the juice as it is used as an ingredient in this recipe and in the Vanilla Yogurt Icing.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, beet juice, vanilla extract, oil, vinegar, water and beet puree. Whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredient mixture into dry ingredient mixture. Fold together until a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour batter into a greased quarter sheet pan or smaller appropriately sized cake pan depending on batter amount.
- Bake in a 325-degree Fahrenheit convection (375-degree Fahrenheit standard) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Allow cakes to cool before dicing into large cubes.
To Prepare Vanilla Yogurt Icing:
- NOTE: When draining canned beets in the Pink Velvet Cake recipe, reserve the beet juice as it is used as an ingredient in this recipe.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Whisk together until smooth. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
To Serve Pink Velvet Cake Parfait:
- As needed for service, place 1 cup diced cake cubes in an appropriate size bowl. Top with:
-2 Tablespoons diced strawberries
-1 Tablespoon cookie crumble.
- Drizzle with 1 teaspoon icing. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 230, Carbs: 40g, Protein: 4g Fat: 6g, Sat. fat: 1g, Cholesterol: <5mg, Sodium: 230mg, Fiber: 1g