Green lentil, mushroom, onion, peas, corn & green beans in a vegan gravy topped with mashed potatoes; baked until golden
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 15 to 25 minutes|Cook time: 30 to 35 minutes|
- 3/4 cup raw lentils
- 1 pound 14 oz peeled and cut up white potato
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 6 Tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 2 1/4 tsp canola oil
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 4 cups sliced mushroom
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 5 teaspoon cornstarch
To cook lentils:
- Cover lentils with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 22 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain any excess liquid.
To cook potatoes:
- Cover potatoes with 1 inch of water. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes or until completely tender. Drain well.
- Mash potatoes in a large bowl until no lumps remain. Beat in soy milk in small amounts, beating after each addition. Add margarine and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat vigorously until potatoes are light and fluffy.
To make Lentil Shepherd’s Pie:
- While potatoes are cooking, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion. Saute for 2 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add garlic. Saute for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add carrots. Saute until bright orange color.
- Add mushroom. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until dry.
- Add peas, green beans, corn, thyme, pepper and 3/4 tsp salt. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Combine cornstarch and low sodium stock until well dissolved. Add to vegetables. Cook until slightly thickened.
- Place vegetable mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Top with lentils. Spread out evenly.
- Top with mashed potatoes. Using a spatula, smooth out potatoes.
NOTE: For a more upscale presentation, place potatoes in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe rosettes over entire mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through, bubbly and potatoes are browned.
- Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes prior to cutting.
- Cut into 6 even pieces, and serve.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 360, Carbs: 53g, Protein: 11g Fat: 12g, Sat. fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 494mg, Fiber: 8g