Two corn tortillas stuffed with smoky chorizo style mushrooms & grains, pickled onions, avocado & grilled pineapple salsa
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes plus 24 hours for marinating|Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes|Yield: 4 servings; 2 tacos each
Pickled Red Onion with Habanero
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped habanero peppers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- A pinch of Kosher salt
- A pinch of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of lime juice
Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- 3 ounces (about two rings) canned pineapple rings, drained
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon diced red onions
- 2 Tablespoons diced green peppers
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Jalapeno Peppers, Fresh 7/8 Teaspoon
- 1/3 cup lentils, picked and rinsed
- 3/4 cup water
Chorizo-style Ground Mushrooms
- 1 pound portobello mushroom
- 1 ½ Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped garlic cloves
Sweet & Smoky Tacos
- Eight corn tortillas
- 1/2 avocado, sliced into eight thin slices
To Prepare Pickled Red Onion & Habanero:
- NOTE: Use gloves to seed peppers. Pepper juice can burn the eyes. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after seeding peppers.
Cut stems of habanero chiles. Cut a slit at the end of each chile opposite the stem. Rough chop. Set aside.
- Place onions in a stainless-steel bowl. Add salt and oregano. Toss gently to coat evenly.
- Add habanero chiles. Toss to combine.
- Pour vinegar and lime juice over the onion mixture. Cover, and place in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours to marinate. Drain and discard excess marinade when ready to use.
To Prepare Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- Place drained pineapple slices on sheet pans in a single layer. Do not overcrowd. Roast in a preheated 500 degree Fahrenheit oven until lightly caramelized. Remove from heat. Allow cooling.
- Dice the roasted pineapple.
- In a bowl, add all ingredients. Mix until evenly distributed. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Lentils
- Cover lentils with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain any excess liquid. Use warm.
To Prepare Chorizo-style Ground Mushrooms
- Remove gills and stems from clean mushrooms and discard them.
- Place cleaned mushrooms in a food processor. Pulse to chop mushroom until a coarse ground texture is about ¼-inch in size.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, smoked paprika, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, cinnamon, vinegar, and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Place a lid over the mushroom and cook for 6 to 8 minutes to release moisture.
- Remove the lid, stir and increase heat to medium-high. Continue to sauté, frequently stirring, until mushrooms are well browned in color. Serve warm.
Sweet & Smoky Tacos
- Combine warm chorizo-style ground mushroom and lentils until evenly distributed.
- As needed, place a loosely packed ¼ cup mushroom lentil mixture into the center of each tortilla.
- Top with:
-1 Tablespoon pineapple salsa
-1 Tablespoon of pickled red onions
-2 slices of avocado.
- Plate two tortillas. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 280, Carbs: 48g, Protein: 11g, Fat: 7g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0 \mg, Sodium: 270mg, Fiber: 11g