Full of fiber and vitamins, this winter squash is the perfect partner for hearty, protein-packed quinoa.
Follow Our Recipe
Serving Size: 274g
- 4 medium delicata squash
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 canned chipotle peppers, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup cooked or canned small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, plus some for garnish3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds and strings. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and place cut side down on rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. Put pan in oven and pour 1/4-inch of hot water into pan. Roast until almost tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain water.
- Meanwhile, rinse quinoa in mesh strainer under running water until water runs clear, 1 minute.
- In a dry medium saucepan over medium heat, toast pine nuts, shaking pan occasionally to prevent burning, about 5 minutes total. Remove and set aside. Add olive oil to pan and when hot, add onion and cook until tender, 4 minutes. Add roasted red peppers and garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in rinsed quinoa, chipotle peppers, paprika, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook 1 minute, then stir in broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed (mixture will be moist), 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in beans, cilantro and toasted pine nuts.
- Remove squash to work surface and carefully discard water from pans. Set squash cut side up on pan and fill with quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Return stuffed squash to oven and roast until squash is tender and tops are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Cut squash in thirds and serve 2 pieces squash per serving.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 264, Carbs: 34g, Protein: 10g Fat: 11g, Sat. fat: 3g, Sodium: 744mg, Fiber: 5g