Cauliflower and amaranth risotto with onions, red peppers, garlic and lentils garnished with parmesan cheese and parsley
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 5 to 8 minutes|Cook time: 27 to 30 minutes|Yield: 4 servings
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 Tablespoons raw amaranth
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup lentils
- ¾ cup water
Cauliflower & Amaranth Risotto:
- 28 ounces (about 9 cups) cauliflower florets, divided
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- ¼ cup and 2 Tablespoons diced fresh red bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic cloves
- ¼ cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon and 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
To Prepare Amaranth:
- In another pot, bring water to a boil. Stir in amaranth. Cook for 20 to 22 minutes or until tender. Strain. Allow to cool slightly before using.
To Prepare Lentils:
- Bring water and lentils to a boil in a small pot. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Allow to cool slightly before using.
NOTE: Do not overcook. Properly cooked lentils should retain shape and be tender to the bite, not mushy.
To Prepare Cauliflower & Amaranth Risotto:
- Place half of the cauliflower in a food processor. Pulse a few times until it is the size of rice. Set aside.
- Cost the other half of the cauliflower with cooking oil spray. Place on a sheet pan in a single layer. Do not overcrowd. Roast in a preheated 400-degree Fahrenheit convection (450-degree Fahrenheit standard) oven for 10 minutes or until top is lightly golden-brown color.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan. Add onion and red pepper. Sweat for 4 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and riced cauliflower. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Add amaranth, lentils and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute or until creamy.
- Fold in white wine vinegar, salt and 1 Tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese until heated through. Divide into four servings and place 1 portion onto the center of each service plate.
- Sprinkle each plate with roasted cauliflower, ½ teaspoon grated parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon chopped parsley. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 220, Carbs: 23g, Protein: 8g Fat: 12g, Sat. fat: 2g, Cholesterol: <5mg, Sodium: 610mg, Fiber: 5g