We’ve given this comforting Southern classic a healthy makeover by adding in whole wheat flour and a hearty dose of veggies, and cutting out extra fat. Our version has all the satisfying taste of the original, but with none of the guilt. Enjoy, y’all!
Follow Our Recipe
Yield: 4 portions
- Herbed Dumplings:¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh herbs like parsley, chives and dill
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- Chicken and Vegetable Stew:4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound thinly sliced skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlets
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup peeled, sliced carrots
- 1 cup peeled, finely chopped parsnips
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (6-ounce) container mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In medium bowl, make dumplings: Add both flours, salt, baking powder and herbs. Add beaten egg and buttermilk, stirring until combined with dry ingredients. Reserve.
- In 7- or 8-quart Dutch oven, add chicken broth and water. Bring to boil over high heat. Add chicken cutlets, letting them poach in boiling liquid until cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Use tongs to transfer chicken from broth to small bowl. When cool enough to handle, cut chicken into small pieces.
- Cook vegetables for 5 minutes. Then use a teaspoon to drop spoonfuls of dumpling dough into simmering liquid, aiming for 12 dumplings.
- Reduce heat to medium-low so liquid is at a light simmer and cover with lid. Cook undisturbed until dumplings are light and puffy, about 10 minutes. Add in reserved chicken pieces and serve.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 460, Carbs: 60g, Protein: 40g, Fat: 7g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Sodium: 408mg, Fiber: 8g
Bonnie Andrews2019-11-12 01:06:34
Do you have a list of vegan menu items?
Hi Bonnie, Thanks for reaching out! If you search the term "vegan" under the "Mindful Meals & Recipe" section on the site, all of our vegan recipes and meals will come up. When you visit our cafés, all the vegan options have a little green icon with the letters “VG” next to it. Hope this helps! Best, The Mindful by Sodexo Team