Red potatoes, yellow and red peppers tossed in a pine nut, kale and basil pesto
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 3 to 5 minutes|Cook time: 18 to 20 minutes|Yield: 8 servings; about ¾ cup
Potato Salad with Kale Pesto:
- 1 ½ pounds small new red potatoes, scrubbed, skins on
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1 cup packed kale leaves
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
To Prepare Potato Salad with Kale Pesto:
- Put the potatoes in a 4-quart pot and add cold water to cover by about an inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are easily pierced with a knife or skewer but still have some resistance. (They will continue to cook as they cool), 13-15 minutes. Drain and refrigerate until they are completely cooled, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Toast the pine nuts in a small, dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant and golden brown, shaking the pan frequently, about 3 minutes
- In the small bowl of a food processor, process the pine nuts and garlic together until minced. Add the kale, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and process until finely minced. With the machine running, slowly pour the oil in a steady stream through the feed tube and process until well blended.
- Quarter the potatoes and put them in a large bowl. Add the peppers and the pesto and toss gently to combine.
- As needed, portion ¾ cup. Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 160, Carbs: 20g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 8g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 135mg, Fiber: 2g