Lentil penne with a cremini, shiitake & white mushroom vegan bechamel sauce; topped with vegan yogurt and fresh dill
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 30 to 35 minutes|Cook time: 3 to 5 minutes|Yield: 4 servings
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons finely chopped shallots, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/16 teaspoon granulated onion
- 3/4 cup shredded dairy free mozzarella cheese (So Delicious brand was used in the testing of this recipe.)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 1/4 cups sliced mushroom
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 12 oz uncooked lentil pasta
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/3 cup sliced cremini
- 2/3 cup sliced shiitake mushroom
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 3 Tbsp hot pasta water
- 1/4 cup plain vegan yogurt
To make stroganoff sauce:
- In a dutch oven or large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 Tablespoon shallots. Saute for 1 minute or until tender.
- Add flour, and whisk vigorously until combined and mixture is smooth.
- Reduce heat to low. Continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes, whisking, until flour has lost its raw smell, but before any golden color or toasted aroma occurs.
- Gradually whisk in almond milk and stock until smooth.
- Stir in nutmeg, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and granulated onion.
- Simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened and raw flour taste disappears.
- Stir in cheese. Stir, often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth.
- While cheese is melting, heat 1 Tablespoon in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons shallots. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms. Saute for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned and dry.
- Deglaze pan with wine.
- Add white sauce to mushroom mixture. Stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and use immediately.
To cook pasta:
- While sauce is cooking, bring water to a full rolling boil. Add pasta to boiling water. Stir while returning to a brisk broil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until just tender. Drain well, and use immediately. Reserve some pasta water to thicken carbonara.
To make Mushroom Stroganoff:
- When sauce and noodles are almost cooked, heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced cremini and shiitake mushrooms. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until dry.
- Add warm bechamel sauce, reserved hot pasta water and chopped dill. Stir to combine until heated through, sauce is smooth and has a nice shine. Divide into four bowls.
- Top each serving with 1 Tablespoon vegan plain yogurt. Serve immediately
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 550, Carbs: 79g, Protein: 22g, Fat: 16g, Sat. Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 247mg, Fiber: 8g