Seared Atlantic salmon over lentil penne with sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, artichokes, olive oil & fresh herbs
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 12 to 15 minutes plus overnight to pickle onions|Cook time: 10 to 20 minutes|Yield: 4 servings; 1 cup of pasta, 1 salmon filet, and 1 lemon wedge per serving
- 1 8-ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon finely chopped oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon fresh basil, cut into ribbons
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Cooked Lentil Penne
- 2 quarts water
- 8 ounces lentil penne
- 1 pound skinless Atlantic salmon fillets cut into 4 equal size pieces or 4 (4-ounce) skinless Atlantic salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Mediterranean Salmon Pasta
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 3 cups cooked lentil penne
- ½ cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 2/3 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup drained and quartered canned artichoke hearts
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ lemon, cut into 4 wedges
To Prepare Pizza Sauce:
- Pulse the tomatoes slightly in a blender to crush them, then transfer them to a plastic or non-reactive container.
- Combine all ingredients until well blended. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Cooked Red Lentil Penne:
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the penne and cook per manufacturer instructions, typically 7 to 9 minutes or until just al dente or tender.
- Drain the pasta and rinse briefly under cold water.
To Prepare Grilled Salmon:
- Coat the top side of the salmon fillets with oil. Season with a pinch of Kosher salt and black pepper.
- Preheat, clean, and season a grill or broiler.
- Place the salmon top-side down on the grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, then gently turn over and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees F with an instant-read thermometer. Keep warm until ready to use.
To Prepare Mediterranean Salmon Pasta:
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and garlic. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the pizza sauce, artichokes, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.
- Add cooked red lentil penne and toss until all the ingredients are well combined and the pasta is fully heated, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- For each serving, place 1 cup of the pasta mixture on a plate and top with 1 fillet of grilled salmon. Serve with one lemon wedge and enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 550, Carbs: 57g, Protein: 34g, Fat: 21g, Sat. Fat: 3.5g, Cholesterol: 50mg, Sodium: 750mg, Fiber: 9g