Lentil penne with a cremini, shiitake & white mushroom vegan bechamel sauce; topped with vegan yogurt and fresh dill
Prep Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Cook Time: 3 to 5 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons finely chopped shallots, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/16 teaspoon granulated onion
- 3/4 cup shredded dairy free mozzarella cheese (So Delicious brand was used in the testing of this recipe.)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 1/4 cups sliced mushroom
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 12 oz uncooked lentil pasta
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/3 cup sliced cremini
- 2/3 cup sliced shiitake mushroom
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 3 Tbsp hot pasta water
- 1/4 cup plain vegan yogurt
To make stroganoff sauce:
In a dutch oven or large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 Tablespoon shallots. Saute for 1 minute or until tender.
Add flour, and whisk vigorously until combined and mixture is smooth.
Reduce heat to low. Continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes, whisking, until flour has lost its raw smell, but before any golden color or toasted aroma occurs.
Gradually whisk in almond milk and stock until smooth.
Stir in nutmeg, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and granulated onion.
Simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened and raw flour taste disappears.
Stir in cheese. Stir, often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth.
While cheese is melting, heat 1 Tablespoon in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons shallots. Saute for 2 minutes.
Add mushrooms. Saute for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned and dry.
Deglaze pan with wine.
Add white sauce to mushroom mixture. Stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and use immediately.
To cook pasta:
While sauce is cooking, bring water to a full rolling boil. Add pasta to boiling water. Stir while returning to a brisk broil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until just tender. Drain well, and use immediately. Reserve some pasta water to thicken carbonara.
To make Mushroom Stroganoff:
When sauce and noodles are almost cooked, heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
Add sliced cremini and shiitake mushrooms. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until dry.
Add warm bechamel sauce, reserved hot pasta water and chopped dill. Stir to combine until heated through, sauce is smooth and has a nice shine. Divide into four bowls.
Top each serving with 1 Tablespoon vegan plain yogurt. Serve immediately