A stew of chicken, onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, and potatoes in chicken broth with grilled bread
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes|Cook time: 85 to 95 minutes|Yield: 4 bowls; 1 bowl each with toasted bread
Savory Braised Chicken Stew
- 1 ½ teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 3/4 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3/4 cup diced red potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 to 2 pinches ground black pepper
- 3/4 peeled and diced parsnips
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon chopped thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Italian parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 (3-ounce) store-bought roll
To Prepare Savory Braised Chicken Stew:
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven.
- Add chicken thighs and sear for 8 minutes or until deep golden brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until soft and light brown. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly golden. Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add stock, bay leaves, and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add potatoes, salt, pepper, parsnips, and browned chicken and cook uncovered for 15 to 18 minutes or until potatoes are tender and liquid is reduced by a quarter. CCP-Minimum internal temperature should be at least 165 degrees F. (Instantaneous).
- Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl until well-combined. Stir in slowly and return to a simmer to thicken the stew.
- Before service, stir in lemon juice, thyme, and parsley.
NOTE: Remove bay leaf before serving.
- When ready to serve, spray cut side of rolls with cooking oil spray. Toast rolls until well-marked and golden brown. Slice each half roll into 4 points.
- As needed, ladle 1 ½ cups of the stew into a serving bowl. Enjoy immediately with 2 points of the toasted roll!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 270, Carbs: 32g, Protein: 19g, Fat: 7g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 75mg, Sodium: 480mg, Fiber: 3g