Freshly baked muffin made from whole grain flour, oats, zucchini, walnuts, dates and cinnamon
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 1 hour|Cook time: 20 to 25 minutes|Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup packed pitted dates Boiling water
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely grated zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup neutral-tasting oil, such as light olive oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Place the dates in a medium bowl. Pour enough boiling water over them to cover and let soak for 1 hour. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the soaking liquid, then drain the dates well.
- Combine the dates and the reserved liquid in a food processor (mini, preferably) and puree to form a smooth paste, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides, as needed.
- Place the grated zucchini in a colander in the sink; let drain for 20 minutes, then gather it up in your hands to extract as much moisture as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Have a standard-size, 12-well muffin pan at hand. Lightly grease the wells with cooking oil spray or line them with baking paper cups.
- Stir together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Stir together all the date paste, eggs and oil in a mixing bowl until incorporated, then stir in the grated, drained zucchini. Add the flour mixture and stir until no trace of it remains, then stir in the walnuts.
- Divide the batter evenly among the wells. Bake (middle rack) for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 180, Carbs: 28g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 7g, Sat. Fat: 0.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 190mg, Fiber: 3g