Baby kale, charred corn, smoked bacon, quinoa, jalapeno, fresh cilantro, and cotija cheese with cilantro lime dressing
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 8 to 12 minutes|Cook time: 25 to 35 minutes|Yield: 4 bowls; 1 bowl each
- 1/4 cup and 2 Tablespoons non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup and 2 Tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon lime juice
- One pinch of Kosher salt
Charred Sweet Corn & Baby Kale Salad
- 16 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 ¼ cups tri-color quinoa
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken stock
- 8 slices of bacon
- 4 medium jalapeno peppers, whole
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 8 cups or two bags of baby kale
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
To Prepare Cilantro Crema
- Place yogurt and cilantro in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse for 2 seconds or until smooth.
- Stir in lime juice and salt. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Charred Sweet Corn & Baby Kale Salad
- Toss corn with oil and place it on a parchment-lined sheet tray in a single layer. Roast in a preheated 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until kernels are browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly under cold running water. Combine quinoa with stock in a pot. Bring to a boil, then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until grains are fluffy and stock absorbs. Allow to cool. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Arrange bacon on parchment paper. Do not overcrowd. Cook in a preheated 350-degree Fahrenheit standard oven for 8 to 12 minutes or until crisp. Remove from pan. Allow cooling slightly at room temperature before using. Chop coarsely.
- Mark jalapenos on a grill or grill pan until lightly charred. Allow to cool slightly and chop coarsely.
NOTE: Jalapenos can also be roasted on a sheet tray in the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine roasted corn, half the cooked bacon, chopped grilled jalapenos, salt, and lime juice until evenly distributed.
- As needed, place 2 cups of baby kale on a serving plate or in a bowl.
- Top with:
-1 cup corn salad
-3/4 cup quinoa
-1 Tablespoon cilantro leaves
-2 Tablespoon chopped bacon
-1 Tablespoon cotija cheese.
- Enjoy immediately with 2 Tablespoons of cilantro crema on the side.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 420, Carbs: 60g, Protein: 18g, Fat: 14g, Sat. Fat: 4.5g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Sodium: 750mg, Fiber: 8g