Basmati rice, beluga lentil and cranberry pilaf stuffed in a roasted acorn squash topped with toasted seasoned crumbs
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 3 to 5 minutes|Cook time: 41 to 52 minutes|
- 1/3 cup black lentils, dry
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup and 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup basmati Rice
Stuffed Roasted Acorn Squash:
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 2 ½ teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons diced onion
- 2 Tablespoons diced celery
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons chopped dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 ounce seasoned croutons, crushed into medium crumbs
To Make Beluga Lentils:
- 1.Rinse and sort through lentils to remove any unwanted material.
- 2.Bring water to a boil. Stir in lentils. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
To Make Basmati Rice:
- 1.Bring water to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 12 mins or until tender and all water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
To Make Stuffed Roasted Acorn Squash:
- 1.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- 2.Cut off both ends of squash, creating flat surfaces.
- 3.Cut the squash in half width-wise, in the center, creating 2 halves. Scoop the seeds and stringy bits out.
- 4.Coat flesh with cooking spray. Place each squash half onto the baking sheet with the cavity facing down. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes or until the flesh is fork tender and golden. Remove from the oven and allow the squash to cool slightly until they can be handled.
- 5.Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- 6.Heat 1 ½ teaspoons canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- 7.Add cooked lentils, cooked rice, sage, poultry seasoning, dried cranberries and salt. Stir well. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 8.Evenly divide mixture, and stuff each acorn half, making a mound if needed.
- 9.Top each stuffed squash with 1 Tablespoon crumbled seasoned croutons.
- 10.Drizzle each squash with ½ teaspoon canola oil.
- 11.Return to oven. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes or until fully heated through. Enjoy.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 380, Carbs: 72 g, Protein: 12 g Fat: 7 g, Sat. fat: 0.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 650 mg, Fiber: 15 g