Nutrient-packed toast with avocado spread, housemade pork sausage, and everything seasoning
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 8 to 12 minutes plus 24 hours for marinating|Cook time: 6 to 10 minutes|Yield: 4 toasts; 1 toast each
Pickled Red Onion & Habanero
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped habanero peppers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- A pinch of Kosher salt
- A pinch of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon lime juice
Everything Sausage Avocado Toast
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 ½ Tablespoons diced onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic cloves
- 5-ounces raw ground pork (80/20)
- 1/8 teaspoon or two pinches Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon or two pinches ground black pepper
- 1 large avocado or two small, peeled and seeded
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 Tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- 4 slices wheat berry or whole-grain bread, toasted
To Prepare Pickled Red Onion & Habanero:
- NOTE: Use gloves to seed peppers. Pepper juice can burn eyes. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after seeding peppers.
Cut stems of habanero chiles. Cut a slit at the end of each chile opposite the stem. Rough chop. Set aside.
- Place onions in a stainless-steel bowl. Add salt and oregano. Toss gently to coat evenly.
- Add habanero chiles. Toss to combine.
- Pour vinegar and lime juice over the onion mixture. Cover, and place in refrigerator for at least 24 hours to marinate. Drain and discard excess marinade when ready to use.
To Prepare Everything Sausage Avocado Toast:
- Lightly toast fennel seeds in a sauté pan until fragrant. Remove from heat and crush in a mortar and pestle, leaving fragments of seeds, but make sure not to leave any seeds whole.
- Sauté onion until it begins to turn translucent. Add fresh garlic. Continue to sauté until onion and garlic are soft.
- Add pork. Cook, breaking into crumbles until no longer pink and fully cooked.
- Fold in toasted fennel. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Divide into four portions.
- While sausage meat is cooking, prepare the avocado mixture. In a bowl, fold together avocado, lemon juice, and granulated garlic until smooth but slightly chunky. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use. Divide into four portions.
- As needed, toast 1 slice of bread.
- Evenly spread 2-ounces (1 portion) avocado mixture over toast.
- Evenly top with:
-1-ounce (1 portion) sausage mixture
-1 1/2 teaspoon everything seasoning
-1 Tablespoon pickled red onions.
- Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 300, Carbs: 33g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 15g, Sat. Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 670mg, Fiber: 5g