Creamy farro risotto with roasted parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes & red onions topped with shaved parmesan & parsley
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 15 to 20 minutes|Cook time: 45 to 60 minutes|Yield: 4 bowls; 1 bowl each
Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables
- 2 ounces sweet potato, peeled, quartered, and sliced ½-inch on the bias
- 4 ounces parsnips, peeled and sliced ½-inch on the bias
- 4 ounces carrots, peeled and sliced ½-inch on the bias
- 4 ounces red onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 3/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- One pinch of Kosher or sea salt
- One pinch of ground black pepper
Roasted Root Vegetable Farro Risotto
- 1 ¼ cup raw farro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 3 ½ cups low sodium vegetable stock, store-bought or homemade
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons of part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 ½ Tablespoons chopped Italian parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
To Prepare Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables
- Place sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and red onion on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Coat generously with cooking spray. Lightly toss. Lay in a single layer, making sure not to overcrowd. Roast in a preheated 450-degree Fahrenheit oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Note: Flip once halfway through cooking time to promote even browning. Remove onions before other vegetables if they start to char.
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl. Add balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Roasted Root Vegetable Farro Risotto
- Place the farro in a food processor. Pulse 10 to 12 times to break it into pieces slightly larger than bulgur wheat.
NOTE: This will create some farro flour, which is desirable.
- Spray a large sauté pan with pan spray. Place pan over medium heat. Add cracked farro. Toast for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add prepared balsamic roasted root vegetables and stir to combine. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes to warm up.
- Add the hot vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook at a very low simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until al dente with a slight chew.
Note: Stir 2 to 3 times while farro is simmering to prevent sticking and ensure an even cooking of the grains.
- Remove the lid and constantly stir for another 5 minutes to create a creamy texture.
- Fold in ricotta cheese and half the chopped parsley.
- To serve, place 1 ½ cup risotto in the center of a bowl.
- Top with:
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 Tablespoon cup shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 320, Carbs: 59g, Protein: 16g, Fat: 3.5g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 560mg, Fiber: 6g