Three jicama shells with braised spicy Korean short ribs, pinto beans, kimchi & scallions and served with white rice
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes|Cook time: 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours|
Braised Korean Beef Short Ribs:
- 3 ½ teaspoons demi-glace sauce mix
- 3 ½ Tablespoons water
- 6 ounces boneless beef short ribs
- ¼ teaspoon canola oil
- 2 ½ teaspoons peeled and finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 ¾ teaspoons peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 2 ½ teaspoon sliced green onions
- 2 Tablespoons and 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 large (9 ounce) or 2 small fresh Asian pears, peeled and grated ¼ cup water
- 2 ½ teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 ½ teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons Korean chili bean paste (gochujang)
- 1 cup raw basmati rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
Korean Short Rib Tacos with Jicama Shells:
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces jicama, peeled and sliced thinly on a mandoline slicer or by hand ¾ cups kimchi
- 2 Tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
To Prepare Braised Korean Beef Short Ribs:
- Prepare demi-glace sauce according to instructions on the package. Hold warm or reheat as needed.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, sear short ribs in oil until well browned on all sides. Remove from pan and drain off excess fat.
- Add garlic, ginger, scallion and soy sauce to pan. Cook until fragrant.
- Add pears. Cook until liquid just begins to evaporate.
- Add prepared demi-glace, water, rice vinegar, brown sugar, gochujang paste and seared ribs. Stir to combine.
- Cover, and place in a preheated 325-degree Fahrenheit oven. Braise for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender and falling off the bones. Remove from oven.
- Using forks or tongs, shred meat in sauce. Stir to combine.
To Prepare Basmati Rice:
- Combine rice and water. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
To Prepare Korean Short Rib Tacos with Jicama Shells:
- Heat beans in a pot. Add to Braised Korean Beef Short Ribs. Combine until evenly distributed.
- Slightly overlap 2 slices of jicama to create 1 taco shell.
- Evenly place 1 ½ Tablespoons Korean short rib mixture over jicama shell.
- Top with:
1 Tbsp kimchee
1/2 tsp sliced green onions.
- Plate three tacos and 3/4 cup rice. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 410, Carbs: 68g, Protein: 13g Fat: 9g, Sat. fat: 3.5g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 730mg, Fiber: 9g