Whole wheat pizza layered with pizza sauce, braised kale, roasted red peppers, black olives & mozzarella cheese
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes|Cook time: 25 to 30 minutes|Yield: 8 servings; 1 slice each
- 1 cup no added salt diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon peeled and finely chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 pinch of dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 small basil leaf, thinly sliced or 1 pinch of dried basil leaves
- One pinch of ground black pepper
- One pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 ounces (about 3 cups) of finely sliced kale
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons diced onions
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
Braised Kale & Vegetable Pizza
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1-16-inch whole grain thin pizza crust
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup drained, sliced black olives
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
To Prepare Pizza Sauce
- In a blender or food processor, pulse tomatoes lightly to crush. Transfer to a bowl.
- Combine all ingredients until well-blended. Cover, and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Braised Kale
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Add kale and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Continue cooking until kale is tender and wilted. Remove from heat and cool before using.
To Prepare Braised Kale & Vegetable Pizza
- Coat a sheet tray with cooking oil spray. Place peppers in a single layer, making sure not to overcrowd. Dry roast them in a preheated 425 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened and lightly golden. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before dicing.
- Reduce the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit or the heat recommended by the manufacturer.
- Evenly spread 1 cup of sauce to the edge of the crust.
- Cover pizza sauce with 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese to 1/2 inch from the edge of the crust.
- In order, evenly top cheese with:
- 3/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup braised kale
- 3/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
NOTE: Do not pile ingredients in the center but concentrate on spreading them towards the outside edges.
- Place in preheated oven. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Evenly top with 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper and 2 Tablespoons fresh basil.
- Cut into 8 even slices. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 190, Carbs: 29g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 5g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 5mg, Sodium: 250mg, Fiber: 3g