Grilled kale & lemon, purple potatoes, avocado, pecans, tri-color quinoa & shaved Parmesan with raspberry vinaigrette.
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes|Cook time: 25 to 30 minutes|Yield: 4 servings; 1 salad per serving
Cooked Tricolor Quinoa
- 1/2 cup tricolor quinoa or quinoa of choice
- 1 cup water
Hearty Grilled Fall Kale Salad
- 5 ounces (about 2 ½ cups) of kale leaves, stemmed, washed, and patted dry
- 4 small purple potatoes, quartered
- ½ avocado, seed removed
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- ¼ cup toasted pecan pieces
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked tricolor quinoa
- ½ cup store-bought fat-free raspberry vinaigrette
To Prepare Cooked Tricolor Quinoa:
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh colander or strainer under running water for at least 30 seconds.
- Combine the rinsed quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Bring the quinoa to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and let the pot stand, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes until the “tails” of the quinoa pop out and the water is entirely absorbed. Keep warm until ready to use. Leftover quinoa can be quickly chilled and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
To Prepare Cooked Red Lentil Penne:
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the penne and cook per manufacturer instructions, typically 7 to 9 minutes or until just al dente or tender.
- Drain the pasta and rinse briefly under cold water.
To Prepare Grilled Salmon:
- Coat the top side of the salmon fillets with oil. Season with a pinch of Kosher salt and black pepper.
- Preheat, clean, and season a grill or broiler.
- Place the salmon top-side down on the grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, then gently turn over and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees F with an instant-read thermometer. Keep warm until ready to use.
To Prepare Hearty Grilled Fall Kale Salad:
- Heat a grill to medium and spray the kale with vegetable oil spray (not listed).
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the potatoes with nonstick pan spray and place them on sprayed sheet pans. Roast at 400 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes until slightly browned and tender. Set aside.
- While potatoes are roasting, place the avocado and lemons on the grill and grill for 4 to 5 minutes until beginning to char.
- While avocado and lemons are grilling, add the kale and grill the kale for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly soft and the edges are just beginning to brown. Remove the items from the grill to cool.
- When cooled, slice the avocado into very thin slices and tear the kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the following into each bowl:
- 2 cups kale
- 1 ounce (about 2 slices) avocado
- 4 potato wedges
- 1 Tablespoon pecan
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan
- 1 lemon half
- Drizzle each bowl with 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette and enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 330, Carbs: 42g, Protein: 11g, Fat: 14g, Sat. Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 430mg, Fiber: 7g