Grilled spiced shrimp, red potatoes, green and wax beans, tomato, kalamata olives, red onion & cucumber-caper vinaigrette
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes for soaking; 15 to 20 minutes|Cook time: 10 to 15 minutes|Yield: 4 salads; 1 salad each
Lemon Caper Vinaigrette:
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons drained and finely chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 Tablespoons peeled, seeded and finely chopped cucumber
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
Spice Rubbed Shrimp:
- 4 (8-inch) wooden skewers
- 1 ½ teaspoons toasted and ground anise seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted and ground mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted and ground coriander seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces raw, peeled and deveined shrimp (71-90 count)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Grilled Spiced Shrimp & Vegetable Salad:
- 12 ounces red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ounces yellow wax beans
- 2 ounces fresh green beans
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 6 cups spring mix lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup red grape tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 16 kalamata olives, whole
To Prepare Lemon Caper Vinaigrette:
- Combine vinegar, pepper, capers, parsley, cucumber and lemon juice. Whisk together.
- Slowly whisk in oil to emulsify. Cover, and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Spice Rubbed Shrimp:
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes prior to use.
- Place anise, mustard and coriander seeds in a heavy, dry skillet over medium heat. Toast for 3 to 5 minutes or until fragrant and a shade or two darker. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Remove from heat. Grind in a spice grinder or using a mortar and pestle. Add black pepper. Mix well.
- Place shrimp in a large bowl. Add olive oil and spices. Toss until evenly coated. Thread 3 shrimp on each skewer.
- Heat grill to high. Place shrimp skewers on grates of grill in an even layer. Grill for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until golden brown and slightly charred. Turn shrimp over. Continue cooking for 45 seconds to 1 minute or until just cooked through. Serve warm.
NOTE: Shrimp skewers can also be cooked on a grill pan or in a sauté pan over high heat.
To Prepare Grilled Spiced Shrimp & Vegetable Salad:
- Cook potatoes in boiling water or a steamer for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Allow to cool. Cover, and place in refrigerator until ready to use. Divide into four portions when ready to use.
- Snip off the ends of wax and green beans. Bring water to a boil in a pot. Add wax and green beans. Blanch for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain well and place in ice or cold water to shock. Drain well and set aside for use. Cover, and place in refrigerator until ready to use. Divide each bean into four portions when ready to use.
- In a mixing bowl, combine romaine, spring mix and basil. Toss well. Cover, and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- When ready to serve, toss greens with lemon caper vinaigrette until evenly coated. Divide into four portions. Place 1 serving onto center of a service plate.
- In order, place:
-1 serving of waxed beans at 9 o’clock and 1 serving of green beans at 3 o’clock
-½ serving of potatoes at each 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock
-2 Tablespoons grape tomato halves at 10 o’clock and 4 o’clock
-2 Tablespoons red onions at 8 o’clock and 2 o’clock.
- Evenly top with 4 Kalamata olives.
- Place 1 shrimp skewer in center of salad. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 260, Carbs: 28g, Protein: 11g, Fat: 12g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 390mg, Fiber: 6g