Spiced grilled chicken on whole wheat bun with a savory tomato onion jam and honey lime cucumber slaw with potato wedges
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 2 to 4 hours|Cook time: 33 to 35 minutes|Yield: 4 servings
Honey Lime Cucumber Slaw:
- 3 ½ teaspoons canola oil
- 2 ½ Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ¾ teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 ½ Tablespoons thinly sliced red onions
- ½ cup seeded and thinly sliced English cucumber
- 2 Tablespoons shredded carrots
- ¼ cup diced plum tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 3/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
Berbere Tomato Onion Jam:
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon berbere spices
- ½ teaspoon canola oil
- 3 Tablespoons diced yellow onion
- 2/3 cup canned no added salt crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon honey
Ancho Chile Tomato Salad:
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 ½ cups red grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
Roasted Curry Potato Wedges:
- 1 ½ pounds baking potatoes, cut each potato into 8 wedges
- 2 ¾ teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon True Lemon juice mix crystals
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Ethiopian Grilled Chicken Sandwich:
- 4 whole grain hamburger buns
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon canola oil 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast, raw
- 1 Tablespoon berbere spices
To Prepare Honey Lime Cucumber Slaw:
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, honey, garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine onions, cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes.
- Add dressing to vegetables. Toss until evenly coated. Place in refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours prior to use.
To Prepare Berbere Spices:
- Add all ingredients in a stainless-steel bowl. Mix until well-combined.
To Prepare Berbere Tomato Onion Jam:
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium sauce pan.
- Add onions. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add ½ teaspoon berbere spices. Mix well.
- Add crushed tomatoes, honey and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes or until reduced by one fourth. Remove from heat. Allow to cool.
To Prepare Roasted Curry Potato Wedges:
- Blanch wedges in a steamer basket for 5 to 8 minutes or until almost tender and cooked 3/4th of the way. Cool quickly.
- Spray potatoes with cooking spray. Lightly toss potatoes with curry powder, True Lemon crystals, garlic and ginger.
- Coat a sheet pans with cooking spray. Spread potatoes on sheet pans in a single layer. Do not overcrowd.
- Bake in a preheated 450-degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Toss cooked wedges with chopped cilantro.
To Prepare Ethiopian Grilled Chicken Sandwich Meal:
- Coat chicken breast with oil. Season all sides evenly with 1 Tablespoon berbere spices.
- Place on hot grill or grill pan until marked on all sides. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to parchment lined sheet tray. Roast in a preheated 400-degree Fahrenheit oven until cooked through. Cut into 4 equal size pieces.
- Split 1 bun in half. Place 2 Tablespoons Berbere Tomato Onion Jam on heel of roll. Spread evenly.
- In order, top with:
-1 piece of grilled chicken breast
-1/4 cup Honey Lime Cucumber Slaw.
- Place crown of roll on sandwich to close.
- Place on a serving plate with 4 oz Roasted Curry Potato Wedges and 1/3 cup Ancho Chile Tomato Salad on the side. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 460, Carbs: 63g, Protein: 28g Fat: 11g, Sat. fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 60mg, Sodium: 600mg, Fiber: 8g