Pressed artisan roll stuffed with grilled eggplant, tomato sauce, melted mozzarella, and peppery arugula
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 3 to 5 minutes|Cook time: 13 to 14 minutes|Yield: 4 servings; 1 panini each
- 1 cup no added salt diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon peeled and finely chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 pinch dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 small basil leaf, thinly sliced, or 1 pinch of dried basil leaves
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Nonna’s Eggplant Parm Panini
- 1 medium-size eggplant, sliced ½-inch crosswise into 16 pieces
- 4 whole-wheat flatbreads, approximately 4-inch x 8-inch or whole-grain pocketless
- Greek pita or whole-grain naan
- 3/4 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons and 2 teaspoons of balsamic glaze
To Prepare Pizza Sauce:
- In a blender or food processor, pulse tomatoes lightly to crush. Transfer to a bowl.
- Combine all ingredients until well-blended. Cover, and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Eggplant Parm Panini:
- Place eggplant slices on a parchment-lined tray pan and spray with vegetable oil spray. Roast for 10 minutes in a preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit oven until lightly golden.
- Cut each flatbread in half.
- Preheat a grill pan or sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- To build each panini, top the bottom half of flatbread as follows:
-4 slices of roasted eggplant
-2 Tablespoons pizza sauce
-3 Tablespoons shredded mozzarella
-2 Tablespoons shaved parmesan cheese
-1/4 cup basil
-2 teaspoons balsamic glaze
- Close the sandwich with the top piece of flatbread. Place sandwich on hot grill pan or sauté pan.
- Cook for 1 to 1 ½ minute. Flip and cook for another 1 to 1 ½ minute or until golden, and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and slice each sandwich in half on the diagonal. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 330, Carbs: 53g, Protein: 16g, Fat: 8g, Sat. Fat: 3.5g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 500mg, Fiber: 9g