Healthy grain tortilla stuffed with smashed black beans, lettuce, salsa fresco, tortillas, queso fresco & roasted corn
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 15 to 20 minutes|Cook time: 10 to 15 minutes|Yield: 4 wraps; 1 wrap each
Smashed Black Beans
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup canned low-sodium black beans with liquid
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
Fresh Pico De Gallo
- 1 ½ teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup seeded and diced green pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- One pinch of ground black pepper
- One pinch of Kosher salt
Baked Corn Tortilla Strips
- 5 corn tortillas, sliced into thin strips
Crunchy Tex Mex Wrap
- 4 (10-inch) whole-grain flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 Tablespoons and 2 teaspoons queso fresco
To Prepare Smashed Black Beans
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds. Roast until dark and the aroma is evident.
- Place roasted seeds in a spice grinder. Process until a fine powder.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse until slightly chunky. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Note: If the portion of roasted cumin seeds is too small to use a spice grounder, roast and process more seeds. Or, place roasted seeds in a mortar and pestle and grind until a fine powder. Use 1/4 teaspoon of powered roasted seeds per 1 cup of beans. Place leftover roasted seeds in an airtight container and use them within seven days.
To Prepare Roasted Corn
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss corn with oil and place in a single layer on a sheet tray, making sure not to overcrowd.
- Roast in the hot oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until kernels are browned. Stir occasionally to promote even browning. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
To Prepare Fresh Pico De Gallo
- Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
NOTE: Use gloves to handle peppers because pepper juice can burn the eyes. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling the peppers.
To Prepare Baked Corn Tortilla Strips
- Evenly coat tortilla strips with cooking oil spray. Then, place them in a single layer on a sheet tray, making sure not to overcrowd them.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree Fahrenheit oven for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
To Prepare Crunchy Tex Mex Wrap
- Warm a tortilla in a microwave or sauté pan over medium-high heat to soften.
- Evenly spread 1/4 cup smashed black bean to 1 inch from the edge of the tortilla.
- Place 1 cup of shredded iceberg lettuce on the bottom third of each tortilla.
- In order, top lettuce with:
- 1/4 cup pico de gallo
- 2 Tablespoons roasted corn
- 2 teaspoons queso fresco
- 2 Tablespoon baked tortillas
- Tuck in the left and right sides of the tortilla over the filling. Roll to close burrito style, finishing with seam side down. Cut in half on the bias. Enjoy immediately! Or, wrap and place in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 340, Carbs: 56g, Protein: 11g, Fat: 9g, Sat. Fat: 3.5g, Cholesterol: <5mg, Sodium: 460mg, Fiber: 9g