Grilled Chicken, Garlic Herb Tomato Sauce, Fresh Basil & Parmesan Cheese with Whole Wheat Spaghetti & Roasted Vegetables
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 2 hours|Cook time: 35 to 40 minutes|
Baked Chicken Parmesan:
- ½ cup no added salt diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon finely sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 4 equal size pieces
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 4 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
Roasted Shallot Tomato Coulis:
- 1/3 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 medium tomato, cut in half
- ½ medium red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 medium shallots, cut in half
- ¼ teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1/16 teaspoon ground black pepper
Whole Wheat Spaghetti:
- 2 ½ ounces dry whole wheat spaghetti
- Water for boiling
Whole Wheat Spaghetti & Spinach:
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/16 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¾ teaspoon olive oil
- 2 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 ½ teaspoons chopped shallots
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach
- 2 cups fresh asparagus, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups chopped red onions, diced ½-inch
- 1 ¾ cups fresh zucchini, diced ½-inch
- 1 ½ cups red bell pepper, diced ½-inch
- 1 ¾ cups fresh yellow squash, diced ½-inch
- 2 ½ Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
To Prepare Baked Chicken Parmesan:
- In a blender or food processor, pulse tomatoes lightly to crush. Transfer to a plastic or stainless-steel bowl.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon garlic, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, onion powder, ¼ teaspoon basil, 1 pinch ground black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes until well-blended. Cover and hold in the refrigerator until ready to use tomato sauce.
- Combine vinegar, ¾ teaspoon garlic, salt, 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper and oil. Whisk until well-blended for marinade.
- Add chicken. Toss until evenly coated. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to marinate. Drain and discard excess marinade when ready to cook.
- Place chicken on a sheet pan. Evenly sprinkle with ½ teaspoon oregano and thyme.
- Preheat grill or grill pan. Coat with cooking oil spray. Place chicken. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until well-marked.
- Transfer to a sheet pan. Bake in a preheated 375-degree Fahrenheit oven for 5 minutes or cooked through.
- Remove from oven. Top each piece of chicken with 1 basil leaf, 2 Tablespoons tomato sauce and 1 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
To Prepare Roasted Shallot Tomato Coulis:
- Coat a sheet pan with cooking oil spray. Place tomatoes, peppers and shallots in a single layer. Do not overcrowd.
- Roast tomatoes and peppers in a preheated 425-degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add oil and garlic in a stock pot. Sauté over medium heat for 1 minutes or until aroma is evident.
- Add roasted tomatoes, pepper and shallots. Stir to combine and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with sherry. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Stir in stock and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, process sauce until smooth puree.
NOTE: If a hand blender is not available, place in a blender or food processor and process until smooth puree. Be careful as product will be hot.
To Prepare Whole Wheat Spaghetti:
- Bring water to a full rolling boil.
- Add noodles to boiling water. Stir while returning to a brisk boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 9 to 12 minutes or until just tender. Drain pasta.
To Prepare Whole Wheat Spaghetti & Spinach:
- In a bowl, add basil, oregano, thyme and parsley. Mix together.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and shallots, and sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add spinach and cook for 1 minute or until barely wilted.
- Add cooked pasta, prepared roasted shallot tomato coulis and herb mixture. Toss until evenly coated. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes or until heat through. Serve warm.
To Prepare Roasted Vegetables:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Lightly coat with cooking oil spray. Toss to evenly coat.
- Place in a single layer on a sheet pan. Do not overcrowd.
- Roast in a preheated 425-degree Fahrenheit oven for 7 minutes or until lightly golden.
To Plate Chicken Parmesan, Veggies & Spaghetti:
- As needed, place 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup pasta mixture and 1/2 cup vegetables. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 260, Carbs: 25g, Protein: 27g Fat: 7g, Sat. fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 65mg, Sodium: 220mg, Fiber: 4g