Brown rice with broccolini and Parmesan topped with smoky chicken and toasted almonds served over a tomato sauce
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 8 to 12 minutes|Cook time: 40 to 45 minutes|Yield: 4 bowls; 1 bowl each
Savory Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups no added salt diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled and finely chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 pinch of dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 small basil leaves, thinly sliced or 1/8 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 to 2 pinches ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
Rice with Broccolini and Parmesan
- 1 1/3 cups raw brown rice
- 2 2/3 cups water or low sodium chicken stock to cook rice
- 8 ounces coarsely chopped broccolini
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
Smoky Chicken Breast
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless and skinless chicken breast or 1 pound cut into four equal size pieces
Smoky Chicken & Green Grain Bowl
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
To Prepare Pizza Sauce:
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the tomatoes lightly to crush them. Transfer to a bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients until well-blended. Cover, and place in the refrigerator until ready to use. Heat through before serving.
To Prepare Rice with Broccolini and Parmesan:
- Cook the rice in water or stock according to the manufacturer’s directions until tender.
- While rice is cooking, bring some water to a boil in a pot. Add broccolini and blanch for 2 to 3 minutes or until bright green and firm to the bite. Shock in an ice water bath. Drain well.
- Combine the cooked rice, blanched broccolini, parmesan cheese, and salt. Toss to distribute evenly. Serve warm.
To Prepare Smoky Chicken Breast:
- Combine the oil, pepper, paprika, salt, onion, and garlic powder until well-mixed.
- Evenly rub over the chicken, making sure to cover all sides.
- Sear or grill chicken for 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until well-marked. Remove from heat and place onto sheet pans in a single layer. Finish cooking in a preheated 425 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until fully cooked.
To Plate Smoky Chicken & Green Grain Bowl:
- Stirring occasionally, toast sliced almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned.
NOTE: Or, bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 to 8 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned. Watch to avoid scorching.
- When ready to serve, place 1/2 cup warm pizza sauce over the entire bottom of a bowl.
- Place 1 1/2 cups brown rice over sauce.
- Slice 1 blackened chicken breast on a sharp bias crosswise. Place over the center of the rice.
- Evenly top with 1 Tablespoon toasted almonds over rice. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 480, Carbs: 56g, Protein: 29g, Fat: 15g, Sat. Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 65mg, Sodium: 740mg, Fiber: 7g