Chipotle chicken, quinoa, arugula, black beans, salsa cruda, Monterey jack cheese, and cilantro chili yogurt dressing
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 4 to 24 hours for marinating; 10 to 15 minutes|Cook time: 12 to 15 minutes|Yield: 4 bowls; 1 bowl each
Chipotle Chicken Breast
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces raw boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into four equal size pieces
Cilantro Chili Yogurt
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons diced red onions
- 2 Tablespoons seeded and finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup tri-color quinoa or quinoa of choice
- 1 ½ cups water
Chicken & Black Bean Buddha Bowl
- 2 cups arugula or baby arugula
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup rinsed and drained canned low sodium black beans
To Prepare Chipotle Chicken Breast
- In a bowl, combine the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper for the marinade.
- Pour marinade over the chicken in a shallow dish. Cover and place in refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours to marinate. Drain and discard excess marinade when ready to cook.
- Preheat grill or sauté pan. Coat with cooking oil spray. Place the marinated chicken and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until well marked.
- Transfer to a sheet tray and roast in a preheated 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 5 minutes or until fully cooked. Allow cooling for 10 to 15 minutes before dicing into ½-inch pieces. Use immediately. Or, cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Cilantro Chili Yogurt
- Combine all ingredients until well-blended. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Salsa Cruda
- NOTE: Use gloves to seed peppers. Pepper juice can burn the eyes. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after seeding the peppers.
Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Tri-color Quinoa
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly under cold running water. Combine quinoa with water in a pot. Bring to a boil, then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until grains are fluffy and water absorbs. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use. Allow cooling before using. Or, cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Plate Chicken & Black Bean Buddha Bowl
- When ready to serve, place ¾ cup of cold quinoa in one half of the bowl.
- Place 1/2 cup of arugula on the other half of the bowl.
- Place 1/4 cup of chicken covering the center where arugula and quinoa meet.
- Working around the quinoa, place the following:
- ¼ cup of salsa between 2 and 3 o’clock position
- 2 Tablespoons of shredded Monterey Jack cheese at 3 o’clock position
- ¼ cup of black beans at 6 o’clock position.
- Enjoy immediately with 2 Tablespoons of cilantro chili yogurt on the side.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 370, Carbs: 49g, Protein: 28g, Fat: 8g, Sat. Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 200mg, Fiber: 6g