Cauliflower gnocchi in a creamy cashew, roasted garlic & portobello mushroom sauce with broccoli & toasted breadcrumbs
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 20 to 25 minutes|Cook time: 20 to 30 minutes|Yield: 4 servings; 1 bowl with ½ cup broccoli per serving
- 20 ounces frozen cauliflower florets, thawed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Creamy Cashew & Mushroom Sauce
- ¼ cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium (3 to 4-ounce) portobello mushroom cap, sliced
Cauliflower Gnocchi with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 ½ pounds (3 cups) cauliflower gnocchi
- 2 cups creamy cashew & mushroom sauce
- ¼ cup water
To Prepare Cauliflower Gnocchi:
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor; pulse it until it crumbles. Add the flour and pulse lightly until a soft, sticky dough forms.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and cut into four sections. Roll each section into a rope. Cut each rope into 1/2-inch pieces. Keep chilled until ready to use; extra gnocchi can be frozen for up to 6 months by spreading out onto a wax-paper lined baking sheet and frozen until solid, then transferred into an appropriate container for storage.
To Prepare Creamy Cashew & Mushroom Sauce:
- In a blender, combine the stock, garlic, lemon juice, cashews, milk, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with vegetable oil spray. Add sliced mushrooms and sweat them for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the skillet and stir until combined and heated through. Keep warm until ready to use.
To Prepare Cauliflower Gnocchi with Creamy Mushroom Sauce:
- Place a steamer basket into a large pot with a lid and add an inch of water. Bring the water to a boil and place the broccoli florets into the steamer basket. Steam for 4 to 6 minutes until bright green and tender-crisp. Alternatively, cook broccoli florets in boiling water for 4 to 6 minutes until bright green and tender-crisp, then drain and drop into ice water to stop cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Combine the breadcrumbs and melted margarine. Place on a sheet tray and toast for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Bring a second amount of water to a boil. Boil gnocchi for 3-4 minutes until they float and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of cooking water per serving (¼ cup total for 4 servings).
- Add the creamy cashew & mushroom sauce, cauliflower gnocchi, ¼ cup reserved water, and steamed broccoli to a large skillet.
- Simmer, stirring gently, until the sauce is thickened, and everything is hot.
- Divide the mixture evenly among four bowls, top each bowl with 2 tablespoons of toasted breadcrumbs, and enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 370, Carbs: 50g, Protein: 15g, Fat: 14g, Sat. Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 390mg, Fiber: 3g