Sizzling seared cod with fresh avocado, pickled red cabbage, and yogurt tartar spread on an artisan whole grain bun
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 12 hours for pickling; 8 to 10 minutes|Cook time: 8 to 10 minutes|Yield: 4 burgers; 1 burger each
Pickled Red Onion & Red Cabbage
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
Yogurt Tartar Sauce
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained and chopped
- 1/2 sweet gherkin pickles, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Cali Cod Burger
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 (5-ounce) cod loins or 1 ¼ pound of cod, cut into four equal size pieces
- 4 whole-grain hamburger bun
- 8 slices of tomato
- 1 avocado, seed removed, and sliced into 8
To Prepare Pickled Red Onion & Red Cabbage:
- Place the vinegar, water, and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Place cabbage and onions in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Pour hot pickling liquid over onions, ensuring that onions are submerged. Allow to cool slightly. Then, cover and place in the refrigerator overnight to marinate.
- Drain and discard excess marinade when ready to use.
To Prepare Yogurt Tartar Sauce:
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients until well-blended. Cover, and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Cali Cod Burger:
- Heat oil in a pan or on a grill. Place cod fillets and season each side with salt. Sear for 2 minutes. Turn and sear for another 2 minutes or until flaky and fully cooked.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon yogurt tartar sauce on each top of the bun.
- On the bottom of the bun, place:
- 2 slices of tomato
- 1 seared cod fillet
- 1/4 cup pickled red onion and cabbage
- 2 slices of avocado.
- Place the top of the bun on the sandwich to close. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 320, Carbs: 33g, Protein: 25g, Fat: 11g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 640mg, Fiber: 6g