Brazilian-Style Chicken & Rice
Serving: 1 Brazilian chicken breast, 4 oz Brazilian rice, 4 oz roasted vegetables and 1 oz ladle chimichurri sauce over chicken.
Brazilian Chicken Breast
- 1½ cups orange juice
- ¾ cup lime juice
- 1½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 2¼ tsp. fresh minced garlic
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped fine
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. fresh minced cilantro
- ¾ tsp. jalapeño peppers, seeded, diced 1/8"
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- ¾ tsp. chili powder
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp. grated orange rind
- 1 Tbsp. grated lime rind
- 6 chicken breasts (4 oz each), boneless, skinless, raw
Combine all ingredients except chicken for marinade. Mix until well-blended.
Pour marinade over chicken. Hold refrigerated for 4 hours to marinate.
Drain and discard any excess marinade.
Arrange chicken on oven-safe pan.
Bake in a 400°F standard oven for 10 to 15 minutes and minimum internal temperature is 165°F (for 15 seconds). Cool quickly.
- 1-5/8 tsp. canola olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onions, ¼"
- 1 cup white rice, converted
- 2-1/3 cups hot water
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup plum tomatoes, chopped, fine
Heat a sauce pan over medium heat. Add oil and onion. Sauté until onion is translucent.
Add rice. Stir constantly. Cook for 3 minutes.
Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is fully absorbed.
Gently fold tomato into rice. Transfer to serving bowl.
- 2 cups fresh eggplant, julienne
- 2 cups fresh zucchini, julienne
- 2 cups fresh red peppers, julienne
- 2 cups fresh red onions, julienne
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp. low-fat balsamic vinaigrette
Sprinkle eggplant liberally with salt (not listed). Arrange eggplant in a single layer on parchment lined sheet pan. Let stand for 45 minutes. Rinse well and squeeze dry.
Combine eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, onion and vinaigrette. Toss until evenly coated. Arrange in single layer on lightly oiled (not listed) parchment-lined sheet pan.
Preheat standard oven to 400°F.
Place pan in oven. Cook for 6 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender and lightly caramelized (lightly browned) and minimum internal temperature is 140°F. Turn or stir vegetables only if needed to avoid even cooking.
Handle vegetables carefully during cooking so they do not break up or tear.
- 3 Tbsp. ultimate chicken stock (recipe follows)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley, coarse
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro, coarse
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped carrots, coarse
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped yellow onions, coarse
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped red peppers, coarse
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped garlic, coarse
- 1½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 2¼ Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. fresh chopped oregano, coarse
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper, dry
- 3/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. cracked black pepper
In a food processor, combine all ingredients. Process on medium speed until smooth.
Hold refrigerated until ready to use.
Low-Sodium Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Low-sodium chicken base
In a pot, heat water to a simmer.
Whisk in base until fully combined.
Simmer for 20 minutes and minimum internal temperature is 140°F (for 15 seconds).
Hold hot (140°F or above) for use.