Chorizo spiced beef, potato, mushroom & bean in a healthy grain tortilla with cumin garlic crema and pickled red cabbage
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 12 hours|Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes|Yield: 4 servings (2 tacos each)
Pickled Red Onion & Cabbage
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
Cumin Garlic Crema:
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup non fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon True Lime crystals
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon seeded & finely chopped jalapeno
- 3/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Chorizo Beef & Potato Mix:
- 6 ounces Yukon gold potato, with skin
- 2 teaspoons salt free Mexican seasoning
- 2 1/8 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups chopped mushroom
- 5 1/2 ounces 80/20 ground beef
- 1/4 cup rinsed & drained great northern beans
- 8- 6” whole grain flour tortilla
- 8 to 12 red grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons shredded Manchego cheese
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
To Make Pickled Red Onion & Cabbage:
- Place vinegar, water, and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil to make marinade.
- Place cabbage and onions in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Pour hot marinade over onions, ensuring that onions are submerged. Cool. Cover, and hold overnight in refrigerator to marinate. Drain and discard excess marinade.
To Make Cumin Garlic Crema:
- Spray a sheet pan with vegetable oil spray. Place garlic cloves.
- Roast in a preheated 350 degree F. convection (400 degree F. standard) oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth puree. Use immediately. Or, place in refrigerator until ready to use.
To Make Chorizo Beef & Potato Mix:
- Cut potatoes in 1/2" cubes. Blanch potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes or until almost tender and cooked 3/4th of the way. Allow to cool.
- Coat a sheet pan with oil spray. Place blanched potatoes. Add salt free Mexican seasoning, and toss to evenly coat.
- Place in a preheated 425 degree F. convection (475 degree F. standard) oven. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat, and allow to cool completely.
- In a bowl, add smoked paprika, chili powder, cayenne powder, garlic powder, oregano and 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt. Mix.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions, garlic, mushroom and spices. Cook for 5 minutes or until liquid from mushroom is evaporated.
- Fold in ground beef. Cook beef, crumbling up into small pieces, until no longer pink and fully cooked.
- Fold in beans and roasted potatoes. Stir to combine.
- Season with 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt. Heat through. Use immediately.
To Make Tacos:
- Heat tortilla until warm and soft.
- Lay tortilla on a clean and flat surface. Place 1 Tablespoon cumin garlic crema over center of each tortilla.
- Place 1/3 cup chorizo beef & potato filling over crema.
- Top filling with:
2 to 3 halves grape tomato
1 Tablespoon pickled red onion & cabbage
1 teaspoon shredded manchego
1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro.
- Fold over to close. Serve 2 tacos. Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 370, Carbs: 370g, Protein: 17g, Fat: 14g, Sat. Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 25mg, Sodium: 570mg, Fiber: 6g