Lentil pasta tossed with broccoli, zucchini and squash in arrabbiata sauce with parmesan and basil
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 8 to 10 minutes|Cook time: 30 to 35 minutes|Yield: 4 servings
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ¾ teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 2 ¾ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 2 cups diced fresh eggplant
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 3 cups no added salt crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 12 ounces lentil penne
- Water to boil pasta
Primavera Lentil Penne:
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup fresh sliced zucchini, cut slices in half creating a half moon
- 1 cup fresh sliced yellow squash, cut slices in half creating a half moon
- 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely sliced fresh basil leaves
To Prepare Arrabbiata Sauce:
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, crushed red pepper and onion. Sauté for 3 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
- Add peppers and eggplant. Sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stock and crushed tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in oregano, salt and sugar until well incorporated and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Serve hot. Or, cool, cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use. Reheat as needed.
To Prepare Lentil Penne:
- Bring water to a full rolling boil. Add pasta to boiling water. Stir while returning to a brisk broil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until just tender. Drain well and use immediately. Or, cool, cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use. Reheat as needed by placing in hot water. Drain well before using.
To Prepare Primavera Lentil Penne:
- Blanch broccoli in boiling water or steamer for 1 minute. Shock in ice bath and drain well.
- As needed for service, preheat sauté pan or wok over medium high heat. Coat with cooking oil spray.
- Add broccoli florets, sliced zucchini and sliced squash. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Add warm sauce, crushed red pepper, salt and warm pasta to vegetables. Stir to combine until heated through
- Evenly divide into 4 servings. Place 1 portion onto the center of each plate.
- Drizzle each portion with 1/4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon basil. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 500, Carbs: 81g, Protein: 23g, Fat: 12g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 660mg, Fiber: 12g