Mixed greens, cider grilled chicken, honeycrisp apples, red onion, gorgonzola cheese, grape tomato, and maple vinaigrette
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 2 hours for marinating; 10 to 15 minutes|Cook time: 10 to 15 minutes|Yield: 4 entrée salads; 1 salad each
Apple Cider Grilled Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallots or red onion
- ¾ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon chopped fresh parsley or two pinches dried parsley
- 1 Tablespoon pure apple juice
- 8 oz raw, boneless, and skinless chicken breast
Reduced-Fat Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup and 2 Tablespoons low sodium vegetable stock, storebought or homemade
- ¾ teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 3 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon finely chopped shallots or red onion
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons olive or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley or 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
Honeycrisp Apple Salad
- 1 cup diced honeycrisp apples
- Water with lemon juice
- 6 cups spring lettuce mix or about 1 ½ bags of lettuce mix
- ½ cup red grape tomatoes, cut in half
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onions
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
To Prepare Apple Cider Grilled Chicken
- In a bowl, combine the oil, cider vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, shallots, thyme, pepper, salt, parsley, and apple juice for the marinade.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken in a shallow dish. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to marinate. Drain and discard excess marinade when ready to cook.
- Preheat a grill or sauté pan. Coat with cooking oil spray. Place the marinated chicken and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until well marked.
- minutes or until fully cooked. Allow cooling for 10 to 15 minutes before dicing into ½-inch pieces. Use immediately. Or, cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Reduced-Fat Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- Combine arrowroot with a small amount of cold stock to form a slurry.
- Bring remaining stock to a boil. Stir in the slurry. Return to a boil. Stir until stock thickens.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar. Allow to cool quickly.
- In a large bowl, combine mustard and shallots. Slowly whisk in the cooled slurry stock.
- Slowly whisk in oil and maple syrup until well blended.
- Stir in parsley. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Note: Dressing will thicken as it cools.
To Prepare Honeycrisp Apple Salad:
- Place the diced apples in cold lemon water to prevent them from turning brown.
- In a large bowl, add the lettuce mix, chicken, apples, tomatoes, and onions.
- Toss to distribute evenly. Evenly divide among 4 bowls, making sure that all ingredients are visible.
- Sprinkle each salad with ½ Tablespoon crumbled Gorgonzola.
- Drizzle each salad with 3 Tablespoons maple balsamic vinaigrette. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 210, Carbs: 18g, Protein: 12g, Fat: 10g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 35mg, Sodium: 160mg, Fiber: 3g