Ever think pork carnitas were off the diet-friendly list? Not with this recipe, where pork tenderloin subs for the fattier cut of pork shoulder usually used. Better yet, this gets tender all day courtesy of your slow cooker, which does all the work.
Follow Our Recipe
- 4 pounds pork tenderloin, each tenderloin cut in half
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt-free chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 to 2 jalapenos (optional)
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes in their puree
For serving with each dinner:
- 1 cup chopped radishes
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 chopped scallions
- 2 limes, each one quartered
- 1 avocado, mashed (optional)
- 24 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- In large slow cooker, add pork tenderloin pieces and chopped onion, along with orange juice, garlic, chile powder, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Stir together and cover. Cook until tender, on low heat 8 to 10 hours, or high heat 4 to 5 hours. Using 2 forks, shred meat into pieces. Combine with cooking liquid. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Before serving, make salsa: In food processor, add scallions, onion, and jalapenos. Pulse about 30 seconds to 1 minute until finely chopped. Add canned tomatoes and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; puree.
- To serve, place garnishes on platter: radishes, cilantro, scallions, limes, and avocado. Serve half the meat and half the salsa with warm tortillas and let everyone assemble their own carnitas.
- When extra meat has cooled, transfer both the meat and salsa into separate airtight containers and freeze. When ready to eat, thaw both in refrigerator day before serving. Heat pork on stovetop in heavy-duty small pot, adding 1/4 cup water, if needed, so meat doesn’t dry out while reheating.
Nutrition Facts: Grams per
serving: 357 grams, Calories: 409, Carbs: 52g, Protein: 38g Fat: 6g, Sat. fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 72mg, Sodium: 697mg, Fiber: 9g