A chilled pureed soup made from zucchini, basil, avocado and fresh lemon juice
Follow Ellie's Recipe
Prep Time: 5 to 8 minutes|Cook time: 11 to 12 minutes|Yield: 6 servings; 1 cup each
Chilled Zucchini Avocado Soup with Basil:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds zucchini (4 medium), trimmed, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise ½-inch thick
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch white pepper
To Prepare Chilled Zucchini Avocado Soup with Basil:
- Heat the oil in a 4-6-quart pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it is softened, 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Stir in the zucchini and the salt, then add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is soft, 8 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Puree half of the zucchini mixture in a blender, then transfer the puree to a large bowl or storage container. Add the remaining half of the zucchini mixture to the blender with the avocado and the basil and puree until smooth, then add it to the container. Stir in the lemon juice, zest and the pepper. Season with additional salt and/or lemon juice to taste. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day before serving.
- As needed, place 1 cup in a service bowl. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 100, Carbs: 10g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 7g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 320mg, Fiber: 4g