Whole wheat flatbread layered with amaranth and spelt meatballs, sweet Thai chili sauce, mozzarella, shallots and carrots
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 4 hours and 8 to 10 minutes|Cook time: 38 to 44 minutes|Yield: 4 servings
Vietnamese Ancient Grain Balls:
- 3 ½ Tablespoons raw spelt
- 2 teaspoons raw amaranth
- Water to cook the grains
- 1 Tablespoon and ½ teaspoon Fabanaise or light mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon peeled and finely chopped fresh garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon diced red onions
- 1 ½ teaspoons sliced green onions
- 1 ⅛ teaspoons finely chopped fresh lemongrass
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ¾ teaspoons tamari
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ Tablespoons panko
Sweet Chili Ancient Grain Pizzetta:
- 4 whole wheat flatbreads, approximately 4-inch x 8-inch or whole grain pocketless Greek pita or whole grain naan
- ¼ cup and 2 Tablespoons store-bought sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup thinly sliced shallots
- ¼ cup matchstick or shredded carrots
- 4 radishes, cut in half and sliced
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
To Prepare Vietnamese Ancient Grain Balls:
- In a pot, bring water to a boil. Stir in spelt. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Strain. Allow to cool slightly prior to using.
- In another pot, bring water to a boil. Stir in amaranth. Cook for 20 to 22 minutes or until tender. Strain. Allow to cool slightly prior to using.
- Place spelt in food processor or blender, pulse approximately 10 times to break spelt into smaller pieces.
- Put spelt in a large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well to thoroughly combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Measure two tablespoons mixture and roll into a grain ball. Place on parchment lined sheet pan about ½-inch apart.
- Bake in a preheated 325-degree Fahrenheit convection (375-degree Fahrenheit standard) oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Cut each grain ball into quarters.
To Prepare Sweet Chili Ancient Grain Pizzetta:
- Preheat convection oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or standard oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Evenly spread 1 ½ Tablespoon sweet Thai chili sauce to ¼-inch from the edge of each flatbread.
- Evenly distribute 7 quarters of ancient grain balls over each pizzetta.
- Top with ¼ cup shredded mozzarella and 1 Tablespoon shallots.
NOTE: Do not pile ingredients in center but concentrate on spreading towards outside edges.
- Place in preheated oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Evenly top cooked pizzetta with:
-1 Tablespoon carrots
-1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro.
- Cut as desired. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 360, Carbs: 57g, Protein: 15g, Fat: 9g, Sat. Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 700mg, Fiber: 8g