Today’s most popular superfood, kale, is now making an appearance on the breakfast table. Whip up this super simple frittata for a nutrient-rich start to your day. (Kale is loaded with vitamins A and C, for example. It also has calcium, protective phytonutrients, and omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for your brain and your heart.) And don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten the most important ingredient—flavor!
Follow Our Recipe
- 6 large egg whites
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried
- tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup low-fat four-cheese Mexican blend
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 medium Russet potatoes, cut into
- ½-inch cubes
- 3 cups packaged sliced kale
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt until combined. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, cheese and scallions. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet, warm ½ tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring constantly and sautéing until potatoes are golden and just tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a dish and set aside.
- Warm remaining ½ tablespoon oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and, stirring pretty constantly, cook until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in kale, mixing with onion, and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir egg mixture again; then, still over medium-high heat, pour egg mixture over the vegetables in the pan. Tilt the pan to make sure the eggs settle evenly over all the vegetables. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, until you see the eggs at the edges of the pan beginning to set. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the eggs in the center are set, about 12 minutes. Cool for a few minutes; then slice in half and cut each half into three wedges. Serve.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 230, Carbs: 19g, Protein: 11g Fat: 10g, Sat. fat: 2g, Sodium: 334mg, Fiber: 3g