Ellie Krieger’s Tilapia Milanese
Breaded tilapia fillet served with arugula and grape tomato tossed in a fresh vinaigrette
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Yield: 4 servings
- 1pint + 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 cup red grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons + 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 kosher salt
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole clove peeled garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cage free egg whites
- 4 tilapia fillets, 5-7 ounces raw, thawed
In a bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk until well blended.
Place bread in a food processor, pulse until fine crumbs. Place onto sheet pan. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 12 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Let cool. Combine fresh breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, toast for 2 minutes or until mixture is crisped and deep shade of brown. Remove from heat. Let cool. To set up breading station, place flour in a shallow pan, place egg whites in a shallow pan for egg wash, beat slightly and place toasted breadcrumbs mixture in a shallow pan. In order, dredge 1 piece of tilapia in flour, lightly shake off excess, dip fully in egg and breadcrumb mixture. Press crumbs into tilapia a bit to adhere. Lightly shake off excess. Place breaded fillets on baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
Place 1 piece tilapia on serving plate. Place 1 cup baby arugula, 6 grape halves and 2 teaspoons vinaigrette in a bowl. Toss until evenly coated. Place onto serving plate slightly overlapping tilapia, garnish with lemon wedge.