Follow Ellie's Recipe
Serving Size: 4
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- ½ cup red quinoa
- 1 cup milk of choice (low-fat, whole, almond or coconut), plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoons chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium firm-ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons dark brown sugar, plus more for serving
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup toasted walnut pieces, optional
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot.
- Stir in the oats and simmer, uncovered, over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa and continue to cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chia seeds and vanilla, then remove from the heat, cover and set aside as you prepare the bananas.
- The cereal will thicken as it sits.
- Peel and slice the bananas diagonally into ½-inch thick slices.
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Add the bananas to the skillet and cook, turning once, until browned, about 1 minute per side.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar and the cinnamon and cook, stirring gently, until the sugar melts, about 1 minute.
- Add a tablespoon or two of water if the pan seems dry.
- Spoon the grain mixture into serving bowls, top with the bananas and walnuts, if using.
- Drizzle with additional milk and/or sprinkle with additional sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 320, Carbs: 56g, Protein: 10g Fat: 8g, Sat. fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 40mg, Fiber: 7g