Hearty grains tortilla filled with shredded Monterey jack cheese, beef and pinto beans served with rice and black beans
Follow Our Recipe
Prep Time: 5 to 10 minutes|Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes|
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Two 15-ounce cans low-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup no-salt-added beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon ancho chili powder or regular chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Six 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey jack cheese (3 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cup cooked basmati rice
- ½ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt or reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ cup prepared tomato salsa
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the meat and onions, and cook, stirring and breaking the meat up with a spoon, until the meat is browned, and the onion is softened, 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds more. Stir in the pinto beans, broth, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and cayenne, and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally and mashing the beans a bit with the spoon, until the mixture is creamy and thickened, about 10 minutes. If planning to freeze or refrigerate, remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool for 20 minutes. Then skip to step 3 and make the burritos with un-warmed tortillas.
- To continue now, warm the tortillas on a hot, ungreased griddle or directly over a gas burner, one at a time, for 30 seconds each, turning once. Alternatively, wrap the tortillas in a slightly damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds.
- To make the burritos, sprinkle each tortilla with 2 Tablespoons of the cheese, then mound 2/3 cup of the mixture in the middle and roll up burrito style, with both ends folded under so the burrito is closed. Refrigerate or freeze at this stage.
- To serve, top each burrito with a dollop of the yogurt or sour cream and a heaping tablespoon of the salsa.
- Warm the black beans and rice. Combine in a bowl until evenly distributed.
- Serve each burrito with ½ cup rice and beans on the side. Enjoy!
To Refrigerate and Serve:
- Wrap the burritos individually in plastic wrap or foil and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container where they will keep for up to 4 days.
- To heat, unwrap completely, place on a baking sheet or piece of foil in a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven until warmed through, 20 to 25 minutes. Alternatively, unwrap the burrito, rewrap in a paper towel, and microwave for about 1 minute, for one burrito. Then, follow the “to serve” directions in the recipe.
To Freeze and Serve:
- Wrap the burritos individually in plastic wrap or foil and place in an airtight container or sealable freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- There is no need to thaw. To heat, unwrap completely and place on a piece of foil in a cold oven set to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the oven reaches temperature, continue to cook for 30 to 35 minutes, until warmed through. Alternatively, unwrap the frozen burrito completely, then rewrap it in a paper towel and microwave on the defrost setting for 6 minutes and then on full power for 90 seconds, for one burrito. Once the burrito is warmed, continue with the “to serve” directions in the recipe.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 480, Carbs: 68g, Protein: 23g Fat: 13g, Sat. fat: 4.5g, Cholesterol: 40mg, Sodium: 690mg, Fiber: 10g